Waterville, Co. Kerry (64km from Killarney’s Holiday Village on the Ring of Kerry)
August 24th to August 27th 2017
The Charlie Chaplin Comedy Film Festival is a celebration of the life and work of Charlie Chaplin, an innovative film maker and advocate for social change.
Well, if you are a fan of any of these, you will just have to make your way to Waterville this August for the seventh annual Charlie Chaplin Comedy Film Festival.
Why Charlie Chaplin?
Waterville was a beloved holiday destination for the silent movie star, who first started visiting the area in 1959. He and his family visited the town every year for ten years after that, staying at the Butler Arms Hotel. There is a statue of Charlie Chaplin in the centre of the town.
What are This Year’s Highlights?
- Edges of Light play the festival on Thursday night.
- On Saturday, August 26th, RTE journalist Carole Coleman interviews former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, Samantha Power, in St. Michael’s Church
- Don’t miss the Charlie parade and barbecue on Saturday evening
- Also on Saturday, renowned academic Cass Sunstein speaks at St. Michael’s Church
- On Sunday 27th August, you can become part of an attempt to break the Guinness world record for the largest gathering of Charlie Chaplin lookalikes if you turn up in Charlie Chaplin costume at the Charlie Chaplin statue at 5.30PM
- The results of the film competition are announced and there is an Award Ceremony followed by film The Dawn Q&A on Sunday evening in Tech Amergin
- You can also enjoy free screenings of Chaplin classics in Tech Amergin, mime workshops with Charlie Pakdel, and lots of free street entertainment
What We Recommend:
From the opening ceremony with 1920s fancy dress parade and live music to the daily talks, screenings, and workshops, we recommend you check out this year’s festival. When you book a holiday home at Killarney’s Holiday Village, you’re just over an hour from Waterville, and it makes a great stop on the Ring of Kerry.